Thing #22 – Twitter

So I first decided to get a Twitter account a couple of years ago because my boyfriend encouraged me to try it. I created an account and posted a few tweets here and there about things going on in my life. As Twitter’s popularity grew, I started to use Twitter as a way to follow entertainment news (sad, but true). I followed a bunch of celebrities I liked and used Twitter solely to read OTHER people’s tweets. In my college technology class, we were challenged to use Twitter for educational purposes, kind of like in Thing #22. My technology professor asked us all to follow a man by the name of Will Richardson. He is a former public school educator who founded Powerful Learning Practice, a professional development program that mentors teachers. We had to read his posts daily over the course of a month to see what this guy was all about. Will Richardson posted comments about and links to various articles encouraging educators to incorporate Web 2.0 into their classroom. Until this task, Will Richardson was the only person I have followed on Twitter that posts about educational content. However, I have begun to explore other people and organizations that Tweet about professional development and ways teachers can improve their teaching. To be completely honest, I do not see myself using Twitter as a primary way to get information. I just can’t seem to stick with it long enough to make it a regular part of my social networking hobbies. However, I do see its relevance in education. It is a great way to spread the word about new ideas in education. I will not abandon Twitter altogether, but I do not think it will be my first choice of tools to use in my teaching.